Monday, December 22, 2008

Knitting Contrisstmas Day 22: A Trio of Gift Bags


In an effort to do away with paper gift bags this year (cute as they might be)--- I've made little bags for those 'non-boxed' things. You know, the velour lounge outfit goes in a box----- the sweater finds it's home in a box as well. However the smaller FUN things go in little bags, like the trashy novel or the knee highs! :-) These are not only really darling but fast and easy, assuming you have a bit of a stash. If you are stash-less, have no fear the components are easily found, inexpensive and fast to make. The best part is that they can be reused for years to come and enjoyed and re-purposed in all sorts of ways. I like that!


I collect antique postcard clip-art and have for some time. If you do not, you can find it fairly easily on the Web, some freebie and some inexpensive. In my case I cut and pasted the images using a photo editor onto a standard 8.5 x 11 page format as closely as possible and then printed them out onto paper backed fabric. You can find this paper at any craft store under several brand names. I have heard that it is possible to iron plain muslin onto waxed or parchment paper and run it through the printer but honestly, it has only made me crazy---- buying is (for me) best.

Once the sheets of images come out of the printer I allow to dry for an hour or so, then cover with a scrap of fabric and heat set with my iron. Once that is done, cut them out and you are ready to go, you can put quite a few on one sheet and maximize your effort.


Gift bags can be made in any size you like. I used wool felt cut to size. Once the image or images are arranged on the felt stitch around them. I chose simple machine stitches but you can go crazy if you like---- or as simple as you like. You could also use a fusible if you have an aversion to the sewing machine.


Once you've stitched around the images, decide if you want to use trim around the top. The larger bag with the collage of elements uses a fabulous trim on the edge, the Santa bag on the bottom has a simple polka dot grosgrain trim and the small navy bag in the center has no trim at all. It works fine to keep it simple with no trim but I do like the fancy bits the best I think!

Give it a try and let me know what you come up with!

Knit group met yesterday afternoon as usual for a Sunday. We had a great time and came up with our list of knitting do's - don't's and you've gotta' be kidding me's. I'll share it soon and I think you will enjoy having a bit of the group delivered to your door! :-) You know that when it comes to knitters in a group there is no shortage of opinions, or ideas. Ever.

Of all the Christmas cookies in the world there is one that is a must make, every year. Spritz! I love me some Spritz even though each season I have a nasty argument with the cookie gun! Simple shapes, simple sugars and always a cinnamon candy somewhere on the cookie. Most of the first batch have left for friends and neighbors so another load came out of the oven this morning. A full POUND of butter.......... loads of almond extract, as Ina says, "How bad can it be?"

Can you stand it? It looks like the 'kids' are waiting for Santa!

3 comments:

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

What you need is a good old-fashioned Mirro Cookie Press. Best cookie maker ever! I love the bags!

Unknown said...

They look exactly like kids on Christmas. So cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Spritz are DH's favorites, too. He says you may come over and bake here, if you wish.

Happy knitting!